Protein – Brownies? That Are Delicious!
Guest Post: Sloane Davis
My approach to weight loss is based upon flexible dieting. My clients are given macros, which are proteins, fats and carbs, which comprises total calories. They then eat within the budget that is prescribed for their specific body. What makes this plan so effective is that there are no foods that one has to eat and no foods that are off limits. This makes for very sustainable, long term, successful weight loss.
While I can have a brownie, ice cream or cookies, I have learned that those types of calorie dense foods add up very fast. And because I like to eat in volume, I have created many healthy, low calories, low fat versions of these desserts so that I can have the entire tray if I’d like for less calories rather than just one.
One of my favorite recipes is my Protein Brownie. You can add a peanut butter swirl to it, a cream cheese filling, chocolate chips or simply plain as is. Not only do they hit the spot and cure my cravings for sweets, but keep my waistline in check too.
Here is the recipe that has never been shared before, as it’s a new edition to my recipe ebook due out in a few weeks
Protein Chocolate Brownies
4 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
½ cup + 2 TBS cocoa powder
½ cup + 2 TBS Pure Pumpkin
2 tsp baking powder
5 ounces % Plain Greek Yogurt
1 cup Sweetener (I used Swerve)
1 cup Water
⅓ cup chocolate chips (I use Lily’s)
Preheat Oven to 350
Mix dry ingredients
Add wet ingredients to form the batter
Pour into 8x8 greased (or sprayed) square pan
Bake 30-35 minutes or until middle is set
Cut when cool
Serving Size 9 pieces 83 calories 5g carbs 1g fat 13g protein
These are a total crowd pleaser to bring to your next barbecue. Also, try these out on children a great way to serve a snack with a healthy punch!
Sloane Davis is a Certified Nutritionist and Personal Trainer who has helped thousands of people, both men and women, around the world get in to top shape both mentally and physically. Sloane has her undergraduate degree in Bachelor of Arts from Syracuse University and became accredited through ISSA with her degree in Sports Nutrition and Personal Training. She works personally and online with thousands of clients around the US and globally.
She has been featured in People, Fitness Magazine, New Beauty Magazine, Apple News, The Daily Mail, Yahoo News, FOX Good Day New York, FOX Good Day DC, NY1, Bay Area Focus, Women’s Fitness, Womanista, Livestrong, Mind Body Green and Westchester Magazine
Connect with Davis on Pancakes And Push Ups. Follow her on Instagram at Pancakesandpush_ups, view videos of her on YouTube and follow her on Twitter and LinkedIn
Hey guys! If you have protein powder in your diet this week and are craving a sweet treat give this recipe a try!
Ps this recipe was sent out in my newsletter so if you aren't subscribed makes sure you do! www.trainitright.com either click the popup or scroll to the bottom.
Healthy Chocolate Lava Cake
This recipe is for those of you who desperately are craving a sweet treat but know enough not to stray too far off of your diet. If you do IIFYM you can easily fit this into your macros.
1 Scoop Protein Of Choice
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp PB2 (peanut butter without the fat)
1 Packet of stevia or liquid stevia drops
Almond Milk/Cashew Milk (amount will vary depending on protein)
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together into a bowl or mug.
2. Add Almond milk slowly and stir until brownie batter is achieved.
2. Microwave 1-2 minutes until there is only a small centre of "goo" in the middle. Think lava cake. I suggest checking every 30s to see.
3. ENJOY! But beware it is addictive!
The Rise & Shine Breakfast Bowl from Hopscotch
Breakfast, the most important meal of the day, should not only make you feel good but also give you that extra motivation to hop out of bed every morning. I never skip breakfast and my breakfast meals always include a good source of protein, vegetables and healthy fats. This is why I want to share with you this recipe: The Rise & Shine Breakfast Bowl from Hopscotch.
Hopscotch (a health-focused, locally-sourced, fast casual restaurant) has the perfect way to fill your readers bellies and start the day off on the right note.
The Rise & Shine breakfast bowl is a light but filling starter that uplifts tired, morning spirits with a mix of wheat berries, spinach, bacon, egg, sweet potato, avocado and cucumber, tossed in a maple balsamic vinaigrette.
If you would like a PDF of the recipe please so that you can make it yourself at home. Click here: Hopscotch Recipe- Rise & Shine
For more information about Hopscotch please visit their website.
Want to burn belly fat, build testosterone and get lean — by eating chili? You can even use fatty ground beef. [Recipe below.]
Men over 40 with higher testosterone levels have more energy, more strength and less belly fat, according to Clark Bartram, 53, Performance & Nutrition Industry Expert for Six Pack Abs, and Lead Advisor to the International Sports Sciences Association. When men’s testosterone levels are low, they face muscle loss, low energy and loss of sex drive. Additionally, their body stores most of the food they eat as belly fat.
Clark Bartram cooks testosterone boosting, belly fat burning chili.
When a man turns 30, his testosterone levels can decrease by 1-2% a year. By the time he reaches his 40s and 50s, his testosterone production can be down to half of what it once was, according to Bartram.
“Giving you half the testosterone production and double the belly fat – that’s not good,” he says. “That’s why it’s so important for us older men to start boosting our natural testosterone immediately.”
Rather than get testosterone treatments or “legal steroids” (with frequent side effects) from a physician, Bartram says, “Let food be your medicine.”
The fats in red meat as well as salmon and tuna boost testosterone, he said. Other such foods are: almonds, garlic, eggs, cabbage, spinach, asparagus, avocados, bananas, watermelon, citrus fruit, grapes, and honey.
For chili, adding white button mushrooms are a key ingredient to blocking estrogen, the female version of testosterone. Estrogen can cause a man to bloat, develop breast tissue and store more fat around the waist. Rising estrogen levels also cause your belly fat to start producing a testosterone killing chemical that creates even more estrogen.
At TestMaxMeals.com, Bartram offers more testosterone boosting food tips, 3 so-called “healthy” foods that can dramatically decrease testosterone levels, and 3 “cheat” foods that boost testosterone. He also explains how to quickly prepare and cook an entire week’s worth of your favorite testosterone boosting foods in less than an hour and at a low cost.
Clark Bartram’s Testosterone-Boosting Chili Recipe
2 lbs. ground beef (15% fat) 1 can kidney beans
1 cup white button mushrooms 1 can black beans
1/2 cup chopped onions 1 can organic chopped tomatoes
2 tbs. chili powder pinch of salt
jar organic tomato puree garlic to taste
1.) Sauté ground beef until it is brown.
2.) Place meat into big pot and add all other ingredients.
3.) Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30-45 minutes.
Burnbrae Farms: EGG Creations – Recipes
Scrambled Vegetarian Hash Brown Pizza
PREP TIME: 10 min.
MAKES: 1 pizza, 10 slices
1 pkg (500g) Egg Creations Fat Free Garden Veggie
1 cup (250 mL) cooked diced potatoes (1 leftover baked potato)
½ cup (125 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
Veggies and herbs of your choice (diced tomatoes, diced sweet peppers, diced avocado, corn kernels, chopped basil or cilantro)
1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
Ranch dressing, to serve
1. Grease a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
2. Add Egg Creations Fat Free Garden Veggie eggs, diced potatoes, black beans, veggies and herbs of your choice and season well with salt and pepper. Let cook, covered, until almost set, about 7 min.
3. Top with mozzarella cheese, cover and continue cooking for 2-3 min., until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and let stand 5 min. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 10 slices. Pack for lunches or grab for breakfast on the go. Serve with ranch dressing as a dipping sauce and top with extra herbs, if desired.
* Feel free to add different vegetables like sliced mushrooms, chopped asparagus and diced eggplant.
* Try adding different types of cheese or a combination of cheeses like shredded cheddar and Havarti.
* This hash brown pizza is delicious cold. You can make in advance and eat cold for lunch or re-heat slices in the microwave.
Burnbrae Farms: EGG Creations – Recipes
PREP TIME: 10 min.
MAKES: 1 burrito omelette, sliced into six “sushi” pieces
½ pkg (250g) Egg Creations Whole Eggs Original Veggie & Feta
1 large whole-wheat wrap
¼ cup (60 mL) salsa
¼ cup (60 mL) finely shredded romaine lettuce
1 green onion, finely sliced
1. Grease a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Pour Egg Creations Whole Eggs Original Veggie & Feta into heated pan. Using a non-stick spatula slightly scramble eggs. Then, leave to set in an even layer and cook completely in the pan, about 2 mins, flip and continue cooking 30 sec.
3. Remove omelette from pan and set on top of a whole-wheat wrap. Spread evenly with salsa, chopped lettuce and green onions. Roll up, burrito style, and slice into 6 equal rounds. Stick a toothpick in each round and serve or pack in lunch boxes.
* You can add burrito toppings of your choice – try adding a few black beans with your salsa or grated carrots and sliced zucchini.
* You can alternatively serve the burrito omelette sliced in half and serve with a side salad for a filling dinner.
* You can easily make this recipe for two people. Just cook two separate omelettes and increase the amount of toppings.
Burnbrae Farms: EGG Creations – Recipes
French Toast On-The-Go
PREP TIME: 10 min.
1 cup (250 mL) ½-inch diced day-old bread cubes
½ (250 mL) pkg Egg Creations Whole Eggs Original
2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
Maple syrup, sliced fruit and berries, whipped cream, to serve (optional)
1. Pack ½ cup (125 mL) bread cubes into two, 2-cup (500 mL) mason jars. In a bowl whisk together Egg Creations Whole Eggs Original, milk, cinnamon and brown sugar. Pour mixture evenly between jars. Let soak for 5 min.
2. Place mason jars in microwave on low heat. Microwave for 1 – 2 min., on 30 sec., increments until French toast is cooked and egg has set. Keep a close eye on jars as they might bubble up.
3. Top with maple syrup, sliced fruit, berries and whipped cream (if using). Close jars with lids for a breakfast on-the-go.
* Try using egg bread for a sweeter version of French toast on-the-go.
* Add different spices like a pinch of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice.
* Let bread soak in French toast mixture overnight and microwave in the morning for breakfast.
CHICKEN TORTILLA KOREAN DAIKON SOUP
CHICKEN TORTILLA KOREAN DAIKON SOUP
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
By: Chef Antonio Park
1 pkg (150 g) CAMPBELL’S® Soup Kit - Chicken Tortilla
1 carton (900 mL) CAMPBELL’S® Ready to Use Chicken Broth
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large piece of dried sea kelp
1 ¼ cups (310 mL) Korean radish (daikon), thinly sliced
½ cup (125 mL) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large green onion, chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) Korean soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add soup kit, broth, chicken, can of diced tomatoes, red bell pepper and sea kelp to a large pot. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Add Korean radish (daikon), and shiitake mushroom to boiling soup.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add garlic, green onion and soy sauce toward the end of cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- It is important to thinly slice Korean radish (daikon).
- Garnish with fresh pecorino or parmesan cheese and sesame oil.
Thanksgiving may be a holiday that we share with our neighbours to the south, but the way we celebrate it is all our own. We don’t give thanks in November (October’s where it’s at!) and it’s not all about football, turkey pardoning and parades with Canadians. We simply like good friends, good family, and good food.
So if you are looking for a new pumpkin pie recipe. I suggest to give this Carnation Classic Pumpkin Pie a try! You can substitute any of the ingredients you want if you want to give it a healthy twist! For more information about Carnation or recipes visit their website: http://www.carnationmilk.ca
Carnation Classic Pumpkin Pie
Makes: 8 servings
• 1 can (354 mL) Carnation regular or 2% evaporated milk
• 1 pastry for 10-inch (25 cm) single-crust pie
• 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) pumpkin pureé
• 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Robin Hood original all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground nutmeg
• 1/4 (1 mL) ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). On floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness.
2. Fit pastry into 10-inch (25 cm) pie plate; press into bottom and up sides of plate. Trim overhang and flute edges.
3. Whisk together pumpkin purée, sugar, eggs, flour, spices, and salt in large bowl until smooth and well combined; gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Fill pie shell with evaporated milk mixture. Bake in bottom third of oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Let cool completely on rack.
Tip: Pies can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
Try these Lemon Poppy Seed Bites that are perfect for those always on the go!
Here’s how to make them at home…
1 scoop fermented vegan proteins+ vanilla
½ tsp poppy seeds
1 lemon squeezed, and zest grated
2 tbsp ground flax seed
½ c coconut flour
¼ c ground almonds
¼ c ground pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp maple syrup
6 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¼ c coconut flakes
2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Mix in coconut flour, ground flax seed, fermented vegan proteins+ and lemon zest, and thoroughly mix ingredients.
- Add in maple syrup, lemon juice, almond butter and almond milk. Continue to mix until doughy texture is achieved.
- Mix in ground almonds, ground pumpkin seeds, and poppy seeds by hand and roll into bite size portions.
- In separate bowl combine coconut and poppy seeds. Roll each bite in mixture to coat as desired.
- Makes approximately 1 dozen. They freeze well and taste great when thawed.
Voila! Enjoy super tasty, extra healthy lemon poppy seed bites made with fermented Vegan proteins+, which you can enjoy guilt free!
fermented vegan proteins+ is the first and only complete fermented vegan protein from seven plant-based sources, providing advanced digestive support, and maximum nutrient absorption – without the bloat. With 20g of dietary protein per serving, fermented vegan proteins+ supports optimal digestive health and primes the gut for other health promoting ingredients. Genuine Health’s unique, artisanal fermentation process unlocks vitamins, minerals, amino acids and carbohydrates for optimal absorption by the body by removing anti-nutrients and amplifying nutritional potency. The difference between good health and great health lies in the amplifying power of fermentation! For more information visit, www.genuinehealth.com.
Genuine Health is a great supporter of the David Suzuki Foundation and donates 5% of all profits annually to the organization