Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation Distributes $4.1M to Childhood Cancer Charities across Canada for 2016
Over $44 Million has been distributed since 2004 to improve the lives of children and their families living with cancer
Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation (CTCACF) – Canada’s largest national charity devoted to fighting childhood cancer – announced today the disbursement of $4.1M to a variety of childhood cancer charities across Canada, helping fund important survivorship, research and family support programs in every province. These funds represent CTCACF’s fundraising activities for 2016, with 100 percent of receipted donations disbursed directly to designated charities.
“The funds we raise are critical in supporting programs that can improve the survival rates and the quality of life for children and their families living with this terrible disease that takes more Canadian kids than all other diseases,” said Jeff Rushton, Co-Founder, Passsionate Volunteer and Board Chair, CTCACF. “I’m grateful and humbled by the hard work of our volunteers and the generosity of sponsors, whose contributions allow our Foundation to distribute 100 percent of receiptable donations directly to the worthy charities who count on us to help them deliver services, conduct research and provide treatment in support of these kids and their families.”
The $4.1m was distributed to over 40 charities at the local, regional and national level in each province across Canada. Recipient organizations include pediatric oncology hospital units for research programs, childhood cancer camping organizations who deliver support programs and camping experiences for kids & their families going through the disease, and organizations supporting the financial and other needs of patients and their families throughout the cancer journey.
1,700 children under the age of 19 are diagnosed with cancer every year and childhood cancer is the leading disease-related cause of death in Canadian children. For the 75 percent of childhood cancer patients who beat the disease, over 50 percent suffer late effects of the disease and treatment. Childhood cancers are very different from adult cancers and rarely benefit from general cancer research. At the same time, the detection and treatment of childhood cancer places unique demands on our healthcare system.
CTCACF raises funds through a series of high quality, memorable, physically challenging, national and regional events that encourage active lifestyles and engage sponsors, participants, donors and volunteers.
CTCACF Events for 2017:
Hero Ride June 3rd-4th
- A two-day, 250km biking expedition with a start/end point at King City and an overnight stay at The Westin Trillium House at Blue Mountain.
Bike for Tykes June 15th
- Enjoy four exhilarating hours of spinning, relay style, on a stationary bike in the Toronto financial district.
Tour for Kids Alberta July 14th-16th
- Ride over 100km/day in Calgary’s gorgeous Rockies, sleep one night at Camp Kindle, and see how your fundraising helps the camp in need.
Tour for Kids Atlantic July 29th-30th
- Two glorious days along the shores and through the wilderness of Nova Scotia. Spend the night at Camp Brigadoon, the local camp we support.
Tour for Kids Ontario August 18th-20th
- Ride 100-200+km/day along the Niagara Escarpment, staying overnight at Brock University. Camp Trillium, one of our recipients, hosts lunch for all riders on the 19th.
Ride for Karen Aug 27th
- A one-day cycling event in Stouffville held as a tribute to the life and legacy of Karen Tobias. Ride 100, 160 or 200km, celebrate your ride with friends at the BBQ and pasta lunch.
Sears National Kids Cancer Ride Sept 6th-23rd
- Join 42 National Riders when they depart White Rock, BC and cycle 7000km across the country to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Visit hundreds of communities, meet many childhood ambassadors, spend time at the Hospital Foundations and raise funds for kids cancer research.
Knobby Tire Trek for Kids Sept 22nd-23rd
- A family-friendly, 3-day mountain biking adventure on pre-built trails providing all types of riding terrain. The trails are located on beautiful private property.
Tour d’Epicure Sept 30th
- An exciting one-day cycling and epicurean adventure in the Niagara Peninsula for the connoisseur of food, wine and cycling!
Various Inside Rides throughout the year
- A team-based indoor cycling challenge and fundraising event which promotes volunteerism and encourages physical activities. Perfect for highschools, universities, work place environments, community groups and more.
About Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation
As Canada’s only national charity devoted to fighting childhood cancer, Coast To Coast Against Cancer ensures 100% of receiptable funds raised go toward improving the survival rate and quality of life of children and their families impacted by cancer. Funds are raised by conducting memorable events that encourage active and healthy lifestyles. From cycling rides to team-building activities, children across the country benefit from the generous support of our sponsors, participants, donors and volunteers. www.beyondkidscancer.ca
SOURCE Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation