Give it new life with #DonateTech
RL Solutions, TechToronto and Free Geek Toronto team up for week-long donation drive to collect old technology and give to those in need, December 11-15
- We throw out a lot of tech in Canada- about 14-million tonnes a year. Donating your tech ensures it gets recycled responsibly instead of getting sent to a landfill.
- Upgraded to a new laptop? That retired laptop can get new life supporting students in Toronto who don’t have access to technology. Tech that you’re no longer using is a gateway to technical skills and educational resources to help them succeed.
- Retired cellphones may not have the latest features, but they still give the power to stay connected to members of the community who may not be able to afford new phones.
- The DMZ at Ryerson University – Monday, December 11, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- WeWork 33 Bloor Street – Tuesday, December 12, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- MaRS Discovery District – Wednesday, December 13, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- City Hall – Thursday, December 14, Friday December 15, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
“Being a software company, we understand how powerful technology is and how often access is taken for granted,” says Mike Etzinger, VP Marketing, RL Solutions. “We’re excited to have the opportunity to work with the team at Free Geek Toronto to raise awareness about the impact that donated technology can have in our local community.”
Be sure to share your donations on social media using #DonateTech to raise awareness on the digital divide and Free Geek’s mission. Feel free to share a little backstory on your donation (i.e. the first time you got it, how the tech has helped you grow) and how you can now pay it forward!
For more information please contact:
Sheri Clish, rock-it promotions, inc., at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.656.0707 ext. 122
Andrea Mears, rock-it promotions, inc., at email@example.com or 416.656.0707 ext. 117
About RL Solutions
RL Solutions designs innovative healthcare software for patient feedback, infection prevention & risk management and more to support overall quality and experience in healthcare. RL Solutions has over 1,800 clients, including healthcare networks, hospitals, long-term care facilities. RL Solutions is a global company with offices in Canada, the United States, Australia and the UK.
About Free Geek Toronto
Free Geek Toronto is a non-profit grassroots organization that aims to break the barriers to access technology in marginalized communities. They collect tech, and refurbish when they can to put in the hands of people who don’t have ready access. They also recycle the parts properly to reduce e-waste.
TechToronto is a mission driven organization, working to grow and diversify Canada’s technology ecosystems. Through best-in-class events, insightful research and meaningful advocacy, TechToronto is helping to support the growth and development of the Canadian tech community. TechToronto is a non-partisan advocate on behalf of the tech community, a tireless champion of local entrepreneurs and their companies.